Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 4th, 2010 - What happened?


Since last night, I've read a few posts in regards to TNA vs WWE and what I expected to be, a monumental night in professional wrestling. A night that hasn't been seen in quite some time, at least since Vince McMahon bought out WCW in 2001. A lot of hype went into TNA and the TNA debut of "Hollywood" Hogan (in reality, Hulk Hogan almost signed with TNA in 2003, so it was more of a return, but thats off the subject.)

Now, please note, this is what I thought of TNA's 3 hour extravaganza and WWE's Monday night Raw with the return of the "Hit Man" Bret Hart, so, do not hold it against me as we all have our opinions on the subject. Sidebar, I read some comments on other posts on this subject. Laced with bad words. True wrestling fans for you.

Now, the first thing I thought was how Vince McMahon seemed almost, calm. I use the term "calm" because non like the competition, he had nothing over the top. Maybe it was because Bret Hart was making his long awaited return to WWE since the "Montreal Screwjob" or maybe something else, but Raw was like any other Raw in recent months, which I can only sum up with Okay. On the other hand, in TNA, you had the return of Hogan. We saw a "reformation" if you will of the nWo with Scott Hall and Sean "Syxx" Waltman, and Kevin Nash meeting in the ring, along with Hogan and Bischoff. You had the Nasty Boys, and a surprise, at least in my mind, return of Jeff Hardy and "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. It was as if TNA was pulling out all the stops on this one night. Fear of failure sure seemed as if it was on Hogans and Dixie Carters mind.

Early, I read an article which one man stated, TNA gave him a "nostalgic" feeling when he saw a lot of these men. Let me be honest here by saying, I don't watch new wrestling show for a nostalgic feeling but for knowing that the thing I love is going to continue. No offense to him as I do respect his opinion. If you're reading this, I apologize, but its true, in my eyes at least.

Back to TNA. I started feeling that maybe in the short term aspect of wrestling, bringing in all these big names of the past and present is great, but what'll happen when it runs its course? Instead of something new every week, or few weeks, they gave it all away. A spoiler for what could've been. On the contrary in McMahons Land, we had one big star that outshined the rest of Raw. The McMahon betrayal was good, let me say that. Seeing The Nasty Boys again? Not so much.

Finally, the matches on both cards. WWE had some mediocre matches. Fatal 4 way, first round of a tournament with one of the Bellas, Sheamus vs Bourne, and again, Orton vs Kingston. Matches, at least on paper, that wouldn't bring in much towards viewer. Again, almost relaxed. TNA opened with a Steel Asylum match, a knockouts title match, tag team knockouts title match, and Angle vs Styles for the title. It seemed they were pulling out all the stops. Again, short term, awesome! Long term? Not as good.

So, what is the outcome through my eyes? McMahon isn't seeing to much competition towards TNA, at least yet. If management in TNA is smart, they'll take it easy on the surprises. If they don't, they're going to bore its fans, plain and simple. WWE needs to pick it up a little bit though, as they're not out of the woods just yet. And personally, I do hope TNA delivers a better product because, as much as I love WWE, even I will say, it hasn't been putting out its best product since the TV-14 dropped to PG.

No comments :

Post a Comment